Sunday, November 15, 2015

The Personal Holiday

The Personal Holiday

As you can remember from my first blog entry, holidays are events that are celebrated, and they are fixed dates in the calendar.  We have been looking at holidays and events that the majority of people recognize.  I believe, however, that people have personal holidays.  In other words, I have considered some holidays to be events that I have experienced in my life because it has affected me personally.  Every year I will remember and celebrate to an extent that experience.  Here is an example:

"I had a lot of great moments and experiences throughout my life.  However, graduating from college is, in my opinion, the best experience of my life.  I have worked hard for four straight years to get a my bachelor’s degree from Hartwick College.  As I was walking on my school’s Division One Soccer Field on May 24, 2014, I had chills throughout the entire ceremony, knowing that I accomplished something great in my life.
My fellow classmates and I met in our gymnasium early in the morning in our graduation robes.  Everyone was taking pictures to recapture the moment, and I was joining in on many celebratory hugs and “calming of the nerves” conversations with many of my friends.  Once it was almost time to line up, we all sat in our appropriate seats so that we can hear some last minute tips and details about the graduation ceremony.  After, we watched a slideshow presentation that all of the students put together recounting the many laughs and memorable moments we all had at Hartwick.  This were where I had chills for the first time during the day.  I saw many photos of me and my friends, and I started to recall all the great times I had at school.  All the academic and social memories I had at school started to fill my brain, and I got a little emotional because I knew this moment was bittersweet.  I knew I was excited to graduate and start my new chapters in my life.  However, I also knew that I did not want to leave the “college life."  

All of a sudden, we were summoned to line up at the gymnasium doors.  The next set of chills began to surface my body when I started hearing the bagpipes.  I watched past graduations, and I knew that it all starts with students marching behind the bagpipes.  However, this time was different, because the bagpipes were for my friends and me.  We started walking towards the big tent.  There were families and friends screaming for all of us.  Once I entered the tent, I saw my family cheering me on, and I passed through the lane filled of my professors who I still look up to this day.  Once we were all sitting, the ceremony started.  We listened to some beautiful music from our school choir and ensemble.  When the time approached, I was getting ready to line up to get my diploma from the college’s President.  The last set of chills that I remembered came at this moment.  One by one people before me was walking across the long stage, shaking the President’s hand and getting their diploma, and then taking multiple pictures on stage with the President.  Moments before my name was called, I said to myself, “Just be yourself, and don’t trip.”  My advice worked because when my name was called, I walked towards the President, hearing the cheer from my family and friends, and received my diploma.  The whole day will always be a memorable one and will always be considered the best experience of my life because of sharing this experience with the people I love."


I will always remember my college graduation on May 24, and I consider this event one of my personal holidays.  Next year it will be my two year anniversary of graduating from college, and in my opinion, it is a day of reflecting on the best four years on my life.  I think about where I am now personally and professionally.  It is also a time for me to think about the many people that are now graduating from college and going through the same process.  Holidays are not just a time to celebrate, but a time to personally remember the best times of your life and reflect on how these special days affected our lives today.

Vocabulary
affect- (verb) to make a difference on a person
capture- (verb) to take or record something
bittersweet- (adjective) good and bad at the same time
ceremony- (noun) a formal event
diploma- (noun) a paper that shows completion at an educational program or school
advice- (noun) a recommendation

Vocabulary Practice 
(Fill in the Blanks)

1. Students ____________ every moment by taking pictures at their graduation.

2. My friend received an award at the _________________.

3. My mom and dad always give me ___________ if I have a problem.

4. A war can _____________ many people.

5. Graduating college can be a _________________ experience.

6. When I finish school, I will obtain my _________________.

Let's Learn Grammar!
The prefix "re" gives the meaning of doing something again.  For example, I used the prefix to the verb "capture" in my blog entry to show meaning that students want to look at pictures at their graduation again in the future.
Try making verbs and put it in a sentence using the prefix "re".

1 comment:

  1. Excellent story of such a memorable event! I am so glad you shared it.

    ReplyDelete