Sunday, November 15, 2015

Thanksgiving...Let's Eat!!!

THANKSGIVING...LET'S EAT!!!


Thanksgiving is on November 26, 2015.  It has been considered one of the major holidays during the year.
To understand the history of Thanksgiving, take a look at this video.


Thanksgiving has been evolved throughout the years.  The first thanksgiving started in 1621 where the Pilgrims and Indians had their first harvest together.  After, the day has been dated as a national holiday by President Washington and has now been part of American Culture ever since.  


You can see the difference in traditions over time.  In my life, I always had the tradition of watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade every Thanksgiving morning, while I help my Mom and Dad prepare the huge dinner we were going to have later with my family.  After, we turn on another form of Thanksgiving entertainment.  The annual Thanksgiving football game is on.  Most importantly, we all reflect on how thankful we are for everything we have and the people get to spend time with on Thanksgiving.

  
Let's not forget about the food!  At my household, we always have our traditional Thanksgiving dinner: turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top, green bean casserole, broccoli pie, turnips, and corn bread.  I always get full after eating because my eyes are bigger than my stomach.  


I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Vocabulary
consider- (verb) to think about something
evolve- (verb) to develop or change throughout time
harvest- (noun) the gathering of crops(food)
culture- (noun) beliefs, traditions, and values of a group of people
huge- (adjective) another word for big
reflect- (verb) to personally think carefully about something

Practice 
(Fill in the blanks using the appropriate vocabulary word)

1.  Many people celebrate Thanksgiving in different ways based on their _____________.

2. Farmers have a _____________ when all the crops grow.

3. Thanksgiving is a time to ___________ on how thankful I am in my life.

4. Before making a decision, I have to _____________ all the options.

5. My mom is making a __________ turkey because we need to feed a lot of people.

6. The butterflies __________ from a cocoon.

Let's Learn Grammar!
When writing or speaking the English language, we sometimes use expressions, called idioms, that may sound funny, but we use them to explain a concept in a different way.  For example, reread this sentence from the reading: "I always get full after eating because my eyes are bigger than my stomach."  Obviously our eyes are not bigger than our stomachs; however, I wrote this sentence to explain that when I see all the food on the table on Thanksgiving, I think I can eat it all.
Here is a funny idiom: "when pigs fly".  We use this phrase when we don't believe something is going to happen.  Take a look at this sentence: "Oh sure, you will win the lottery when pigs fly!"  
Try writing a sentence using one of these two idioms.

1 comment:

  1. I love the idiom theme in you grammar section and the photos of pigs flying. Well done!

    ReplyDelete